Wednesday, March 4, 2009

A Child At Heart

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up.
- Pablo Picasso

Last October I was fortunate to shoot with my friend Brad for his child's school fund raising. This time the subject was kids!

I was a bit apprehensive at first, since I haven't taken photos of kids professionally before, just for friends and family, but I was excited at the prospect of this new aspect of photography that will open up to me. So I did as much research as I could regarding my subject and absorbed photos, tips and inspiration before the shoot. One can say that fear can only be tempered by understanding.

It was a two day shoot, an hour for each family at Riverside park in New York on a chilly October morning, and slowly they came... one by one, shy and leery at you at first. I was like, ok how do I get them to like me? I did not know what to do. I had to adapt fast and the best way is to be like them, to see the world through their eyes.

I had to be six again and still keep my wits about me, and you know what, it worked. In a couple of minutes we were running along the park, laughing and tossing leaves at each other. It was fun and they were full of energy and joy. I did not have to pose them, I just let them play, and I acting as a photojournalist just sat back and captured the moment. Here are some of the pics that day.

Enjoy!













Tip:To take pictures of children, you need a camera that focuses fast and can do multiple shots. Keep your eye on the viewfinder and anticipate their reaction. It could be a fleeting smile or a serious look. Go low as much as possible and be at the same eye level as them. Shot with Canon 135 f2.

3 comments:

Marius Lardizabal - Kayumangi said...

Ganda talaga ng Canon 135mm solid na solid. Tama di ba? 135mm ginamit mo kasi ganda ng bokeh di kayang tapatan ng zoom.

Sachi Villareal said...

Ang galing mo ah, nahula-an mo kaagad. Yup that's the Canon 135 f2, my favorite portrait lens. Bili ka na!

Unknown said...

Hi Sachi,

excellent website!!

I enjoyed it.